Did you know that today is National Grilled Cheese Day?! Well it is! And guess what? Vegans can celebrate!!!
There are so many great cheese substitutes available nowadays. Follow Your Heart produces several varieties of cheese wedges and cream cheeses. I love their cheddar for use in cheese and crackers or grilled cheese. But my absolute fave lately is Daiya – they produce cheese shreds and their new wedges which I have not been able to find yet! However, their cheddar shreds are PERFECT for making some vegan grilled cheese.
I know pretty much everyone knows how to make grilled cheese, but I’m going to include a recipe anyway. After all, its further proof that being vegan does not mean you miss out on some of the best comfort food! Best part about vegan grilled cheese? NO Cholesterol or Trans Fat!
Vegan Grilled Cheese (serves two)
- Your favorite vegan bread
- Daiya cheddar shreds
- Sliced tomato, if desired
- Earth Balance butter
- Warm a pan or skillet over medium heat. Melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan.
- Butter one side of four slices of bread. Place two bread slices, butter side down in pan and portion out some Daiya cheddar on to each slice.
- If desired, warm some tomato slices in the skillet. (I prefer no tomato, but Melissa loves it!)
- Take the other two slices of bread, and place them butter side up on top of the cheese, like a sandwich.
- Cover pan with a lid to help the cheese melt, for a minute or two. Be careful not to burn the bread.
- Flip sandwiches to let the other side crisp.
- Remove from pan and serve!
We had our grilled cheese with a nice kale salad tonight, but sometimes we’ll have it with tomato soup. It’s the perfect comfort food! Do you have a favorite vegan comfort food?